Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-25 22:46:34
Chris wrote:
However, the single overriding concern about such system is deployment.
This is the same problem that faces anyone who wants to replace SMTP
with a different protocol, push or pull, such as the various AMTP
variants discussed earlier on. Majority of folks think that complete
replacement of today's SMTP infrastructure would take too long and be
too costly, while easier and almost as effective solutions exist.

This is one of the main reasons I am for a "pull" system based on smtp
rfc821
it is do-able, requires limited software replacement and can be achieved in
a reasonable time frame (2yrs?)

If software vendors (and I agree with Phill, this is an *if*) get on board
it can be a part of their next "upgrade"

it does not require any fundamental change to the system

just some additional commands on top of the already functioning system

The question is not making the change, rather justifying it. You need to show how this system will reduce spam and by how much, in order to justify change to the entire Internet email architecture.

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / PGP Key: 0x10D051E6 / www.shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / www.solidmatrix.com
"Fight spam, but keep it in perspective" (Brad Templeton)
-------