Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - depracate all list/bulk mailing and change to RSS

2003-11-29 07:31:31
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:53:49AM -0500, Bill Cole wrote

1. It's not a reality-free business plan designed to sucker some
dumb VC's and IPO buyers out of their investment capital to line
the pockets of a bunch of hucksters. It's not a business plan at
all. No one is trying to get rich by owning the idea or the tools,
so no one has to be a revenue source for those non-existent owners
to concentrate.

  I would go one step further.  My proposal is basically designed to
destroy the business model for the Topicas, Yesmails, and E-Dialogs, and
their fellow travellers.  The existance of legitimate mailing lists,
like this one, gives the email-blasters a bit of plausable deniability
and a figleaf of legitimacy.  They can claim that millions of people
willingly subscribed to their lists, just we subscribed to this one.

  When legitimate mailing lists no-longer exist (migrated to RSS) then
the email-blasters will be exposed for what they are.  I do admit that
there are a few legitimate businessess who use these mailers because
they don't know any better, but they are a small minority.  If I am
wrong in that analysis, then Topica, Yesmail, E-Dialog, etc, would be
able to continue making money by providing RSS feeds to all those
millions of eager opt-in subscribers (hack, kaff).

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;