Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - depracate all list/bulk mailing and change to RSS

2003-11-28 16:14:30
On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:15:46AM +1030, Chris wrote

This sounds strikingly similar to the http push  er push of a few years ago.

remember everyone would have an "active desktop" and news and stories of
interest would be pushed to the user.

Does any one remember how successful that was?

the "http push" was in fact a pull system, the user would pull on to his
desktop feeds (RSS) from their favourite sources

if it failed then, what's changed ?

  The whole point was that it failed because people didn't want most of
that garbage... just like they don't want most of the garbage that gets
rammed down their inboxes today.  The only real difference was that
people got to excercise freedom of choice about whether or not to be
bombarded with advertising.  Given a choice between the collapse of
email as a usable personal communications medium, versus the collapse of
Yesmail, Topica, E-Dialog, etc, I prefer the latter.

  The whole point behind my proposal is to remove any figleaf of
respectability that these outfits have.  They claim that 15% of their
"legitimate business email" is being blocked.  Now lwt's work on the
other 85%.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;