Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Inquiry about CallerID Verification

2003-11-29 22:52:21
Hi Bart

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer(_at_)brasslantern(_dot_)com>
To: "ASRG" <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

Suppose a large ISP were to adopt the "caller ID" scheme (one already may
have, see below).  A spammer forges winserver.com MAIL FROM: on a couple
of
million messages destined for that ISP, distributed across all its dozens
of MXs.  They all begin connecting to your MX to ID the caller.  Are you
prepared to handle that load, or have you just been DoS'd into oblivion?

I was thinking more about this when it dawn on me,  this is non-issue.

This is already controlled by server access and availability.   The number
of receiver threads are definable by the sysop with a server 421 greeting
response of:

        421 domain, Service not available. Try again later

---
Hector Santos, CTO
WINSERVER "Wildcat! Interactive Net Server"
support: http://www.winserver.com
sales: http://www.santronics.com