Re: [Asrg] 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID Verification)

2003-11-30 02:01:23
Hector Santos wrote:
From: "Yakov Shafranovich" <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
[...]
What I would like to narrow down is what purpose does this proposal
address? What exact forgery does it solve?

Valid Return Path.

The RFC says that all mail must be returnable (except for NULL address).

Ok, I believe we have narrowed it down :) Thanks for bearing with us folks :)

So what we are addressing is the valid return path. The current standards allow for invalid return addresses, which is the one of the root problems that led to spam. This has a side-effect of allowing anonymous email (which can still survive if the anonymous email server uses its own email address for MAIL FROM). That I believe is our point of contention, and I would be more than happy to see the exact section which requires all mail to be returnable.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Fight spam, but keep it in perspective" (Brad Templeton)
-------