[Asrg] Re: 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID Verification)

2003-11-30 12:21:29
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:11:39 -0800, Matthew Elvey
<matthew(_at_)elvey(_dot_)com> writes:

Perhaps a better alternative to deprecating <> would be saying that
MTAs SHOULD bitbucket DSNs about email they know (thanks to LMTP
and/or Received/MessageID headers) weren't sent from authorized
IPs/systems.  Good/workable idea?

Probably, if the burden of proof is low and relatively easy.

True.  By deprecated, I mean a spec that says that MTAs SHOULD not
(not MUST not) use  <>.  Let's see if there is another solution for
everything legit that it's currently useful for.  We don't want <> to
be a way around LMTP, right?   For any failure DSN, I think the
systems that send them can and should be modified so that all the
failure status codes of rfc 1893 can be provided during SMTP.  Any
intermediate system (offline UUCP excepted) that does so would need to
be redesigned, as you point out below, if they wanted to avoid using
<>.    For any success DSNs, perhaps they shouldn't be sent MAIL FROM:
<>.  Locally generated and delivered mail shouldn't be bitbucketed.

This seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

AFAIK, DSN's are for exceptional conditions. IE, in a well functioning
system, all messages get delivered and no DSN's need to be sent. Right
now we have a mis-functioning system where people send messages with
forged sending addresses, thus the DSN's are a DoS on the person
having their email address forged. Especially if they cannot be
programattically filtered.

But, perhaps they could?

How to do it is all sending systems attach a nonce (a random number)
to an email. All DSN's must include a nonce indicating to what this is
a response to. Users have the option to filter based on whether a
correct nonce is attached.

If a mailserver is changed to implement LMTP, it can be changed to
also implement the nonce scheme at the same time.

Scott