Re: [Asrg] 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID Verification)

2003-11-30 22:02:44
On Nov 30, 11:11pm, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
}
} Thus, RFC2822 does not mandate that the address be valid.  We are
} referred to RFC 2821.  Section 4.1.1.4 reads:
}
}    When the delivery SMTP server makes the "final delivery" of a
}    message, it inserts a return-path line at the beginning of the mail
}    data.  This use of return-path is required; mail systems MUST support
}    it.  The return-path line preserves the information in the <reverse-
}    path> from the MAIL command.
}
} I read this to mean that the Return-Path must, if present, be a
} valid mailbox for a responsible person (note the MUST).

I read this to mean that the server is reqired to insert the return-path
field, regardless of its knowledge of the validity of the mailbox.

Suppose I send a message to you.  For whatever reason, it's queued at
my company SMTP server rather than delivered immediately to your MX.
While the message is in the queue, I have an argument with my CEO over
the interpretation of RFC2821, and he fires me.  The sysadmin immediately
disables my email account.

You're saying that its now an _SMTP protocol_ violation for the company
server to complete the process of delivering that queued message to you?