Re: [Asrg] 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID Verification)

2003-12-01 02:14:26
On Dec 1,  2:17am, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
}
} Bart Schaefer <schaefer(_at_)brasslantern(_dot_)com>:
} > What I disagree with is the claim that the *sending* system is in violation
} > of RFC2821 because the return-path has become invalid.  Put another way, I
} > don't agree that RFC2821 *justifies* your refusal of the message, merely
} > that it does not *prohibit* such refusal.
}
} You are correct.  The path may *become* invalid without putting the
} sending MTA retroactively in violation.  It must however *be* valid
} at time of transmission.  That is the plain meaning of 4.1.1.4.

You mean 4.1.1.2?  "The reverse-path consists of the sender mailbox."

} We are simply maintaining that sending MTAs MUST issue a valid return
} path at time of transmission.

And I assert that even that is a new requirement.  Valid from what point of
view?

Suppose the (not uncommon case) of a sending MTA that is not the same host
as the MX for the sender's domain.  Call these MTA1 and MX1.  A message is
transmitted via MTA1 to the recipient's MX, which I'll call MX2.  If the
sender mailbox is valid at MTA1 -- that is, MTA1 can successfully deliver
a DSN to that mailbox in the event of a 5xx response from MX2 -- where is
the requirement that the mailbox also be valid when presented as a RCPT TO:
at MX1?