Re: [Asrg] 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID Verification)

2003-12-01 03:11:21

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer(_at_)brasslantern(_dot_)com>
To: "ASRG" <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID
Verification)

And I assert that even that is a new requirement.  Valid from what point
of
view?

Suppose the (not uncommon case) of a sending MTA that is not the same host
as the MX for the sender's domain.  Call these MTA1 and MX1.  A message is
transmitted via MTA1 to the recipient's MX, which I'll call MX2.  If the
sender mailbox is valid at MTA1 -- that is, MTA1 can successfully deliver
a DSN to that mailbox in the event of a 5xx response from MX2 -- where is
the requirement that the mailbox also be valid when presented as a RCPT
TO:
at MX1?

C: connect to MX2
S: 250 welcome
C:  HELO MTA1
S: 250 HELLO there!   (ignore any validation here for the moment)
C: MAIL FROM: MTA1(_at_)MX1