RE: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - rDNS / MTA MARK

2003-12-02 19:33:26
Yavkov said...

So I do not trust ISP's to do the right thing
and most of them do not have egress filtering thus allowing spoofed
packets to leave their networks.

I think it has been amply shown in the past that any system that relies on
an ISP to "do the right thing" is destined to fail.

laziness, cost, lack of knowledge or whatever will prevent many from doing
so.

ISP's could prevent much of the abuse (not just mail) that occurs on the net
today with such things as your example above, egress filtering. but do they?

So a system (whichever) must not rely on the ISP, but (IMHO) is better if
the ISP is "left out in the cold" if he doesn't conform.

that way when mail stops coming in or going out they must upgrade.

That is also why I feel that any system must be at zero dollars or as low as
possible to implement.

Would the web have grown as fast as it did if people were forced to pay M$
dollars for web servers ?

somehow I doubt it.

Regards
Chris