Re: [Asrg] 3b. LMAP - Another LMAP variant "IMX"

2004-01-16 02:54:36
This is an Internet draft which is not checked at all except for having
required sections. In the words of one IETFer "you can send you laundry
list as an Internet Draft and it will get published".

So where's the security section - or did I miss it?

YS> Security is not required for Internet Drafts, see:

Point taken - thank you.

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt

Yes, I've read that - it requires only the mandatory statement(s), an
abstract, contact info, filename and date. A draft that supplied only these
items would be pretty silly wouldn't it? I can't believe that the community
wants to waste time looking at things like that. However, in these
*guidelines* reference is made to to RFC2223 which does, of course, require
a security section. I don't see why anyone needs to submit a draft
(presumably with the intent benefiting from community review and comment so
that they can work it up for a RFC) which doesn't have at least RFC *form*.
I think most people would expect that an ID is a "draft" for an RFC. I
realise that this is a matter for the RFC editor function (and the IAB) and
not strictly relevant here.

On a more relevant point: Nowadays, everyone has got a "solution for the
spam problem", many of them even get written down as IDs. Some of these are
clearly half-baked. Producing a ID roughly in RFC form is so trivially easy
that I can't see any point of asking us to read things that aren't in that
form.

Of course, our (Eric Williams' rather) requirements ID holds that security
must be considered. I'd say that any proposal that doesn't even mention
security can be "knocked-back" right away.