[Asrg] Re: 0. General - Bounces and Attachments

2004-02-07 10:15:10
On 2 Feb 2004, at 11:40, "Alan DeKok" <aland(_at_)ox(_dot_)org>
 If SMTP required the originator to publish the size and number of
messages they were trying to deliver, then that would provide
significant information to the recipient, which would allow him to
make better decisions about the messages.

  e.g. I don't know who you are, and you want to send me a 1M message?
       sorry, you get 10 kbps.

  e.g. You said you wanted to send me a 1k message, and you've just
       hit the 10k mark.  I think I'll hang up now, and blacklist you.

I can do that now with a procmail filter. What I'd like is the ability to either read only parts of the incoming mail (to check MIME content, etc), and/or to have a header that tells how many parts the message has. I might be able to do this already to, but not within the POP protocol as is - ie I'd have to log onto the server and directly read the mail file, just like procmail does.

  These sort of protocol additions have *zero* impact on trusted and
honest users of SMTP.  They can have large impact on the ability to
deal with malicious unknown senders.

I agree that things like this of little impact on honest senders (the only exception I can think of is if you long-lost aunt, whose email isn't on your white-list, sends you 10MB of pictures. But then, you probably don't want them in that case..)

Jim