Re: [Asrg] Spooked mail addresses

2004-02-07 11:52:11
Peter Sergeant <pete(_at_)clueball(_dot_)com> wrote:
I realise people have wildly differing ideas of what constitutes spam,
but what definition fits an email that you have specifically requested
be sent to someone you know, on your behalf, most likely for
non-commerical reasons?

  That depends on how the recipient can deal with it.

I don't really see how this is philosophically different from going to a
web-based email account, typing in a friend's email address, and sending
them a message - it's just that in the case of emailing someone an
article, someone else wrote the original content.

  How can the recipient tell that this is happening?

  A1) they can't, so it's indistinguishable from spam

  or

  A2) some method on top of SMTP to tie the real originator to the
      mailer sending the URL, in which case there are other issues...

  Right now, the answer is A1: no way to tell.

  Alan DEKok.