Re: [Asrg] 1a. Inventory of Problems - new spam channels

2004-03-17 13:53:01
Alan DeKok wrote:
Andreas Saurwein <saurwein(_at_)uniwares(_dot_)com> wrote:

I believe it is only a matter of a few month until we see serious spam in online games. Most games have, as far as I can see, no protection against this type of misuse.

  As a larger question, is the IETF designing protocols for the
Internet, or for IP networks?

From a draft IETF mission statement (http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/ietf-mission.html):

"The purpose of the IETF is to create high quality, relevant, and timely standards for the Internet."

and

"It is important that this is "For the Internet," and does not include everything that happens to use IP. IP is being used in a myriad of real-world applications, such as controlling street lights, but the IETF does not standardize those applications."

  Online games may be viewed as private networks layered on top of the
Internet.  So are we interested in solving their spam problems, or
are they out of scope:

Now if game sites were using a standard protocol to talk to each other, or between players AND that protocol would be standardized on the Internet level and not proprietary to each company; then it would be in scope.

Yakov