Re: [Asrg] 1a. Inventory of Problems - new spam channels

2004-03-30 15:54:08
At 17/3/2004 17:42 Wednesday, Yakov wrote:
Andreas Saurwein <saurwein(_at_)uniwares(_dot_)com> wrote:

I believe it is only a matter of a few month until we see serious spam in online games. Most games have, as far as I can see, no protection against this type of misuse.
"It is important that this is "For the Internet," and does not include everything that happens to use IP. IP is being used in a myriad of real-world applications, such as controlling street lights, but the IETF does not standardize those applications."

Point taken.

  Online games may be viewed as private networks layered on top of the
Internet.  So are we interested in solving their spam problems, or
are they out of scope:

Now if game sites were using a standard protocol to talk to each other, or between players AND that protocol would be standardized on the Internet level and not proprietary to each company; then it would be in scope.

So, as some games (and other applications) use already VoIP, which is a "standard" I'd say, it might come into the scope of the IETF/ASRG sooner or later.

Not that we dont have enough to do to solve the current spam problems, but there are new, yet unexplored and unexploited possibilities to spam which might benefit from what we do here.

Andreas