Re: [Asrg] Update on Querying IADB

2004-03-18 01:18:00
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:

Yakov,

All of these codes bring to mind an interesting question. The current systems of this kind, both blacklist and whitelist, do not have a standard set of codes outside the 127.0.0.1 - present. Wouldn't a standard set help? Or perhaps a whole new trust protocol for negotiating trust among two entities and quering third parties?

Actually the codes we use are a subset of the proposed standardized codeset we developed with Craig Hughes (SpamAssassin) (Craig actually did the initial development, with after-input from us, and tweaking a bit for the needs of ISPs, from whom we also had input). We worked very closely with Craig as well as the ISP community because we wanted to be sure to provide a product which was completely useful, functional, and practical for both spam filters and ISPs (which is also why we offer it in two flavors - one with each individual data response returned per query, and one with an aggregate score, the latter being requested by some of the ISPs).

The current codeset can be seen at http://www.isipp.com/codelist.php

What concerns me about this is that you are overloading an existing protocol (DNSBLs) of an existing protocol (DNS A records) to do this. My original question is really focused on whether we should consider a protocol and format for exchanging information about senders that would be more extensive that what is currently found.

For example, the SMTP VERIFY subgroup is discussing among other things, standardizing Senderbase-like counters via SNMP.

Yakov