Re: [Asrg] Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP?

2004-04-19 19:57:55

My major concern vis a vis e-postage is that everywhere we turn, from
so-called public opinion to rarified technical groups such as this to
journalistic exercises etc we see nothing but the tragedy of the
commons which is basically no one would "vote" for e-postage because
they'd rather have it free, period.

And everything else said on the subject, by most, is just working
backwards from that pre-conceived result. Fiddling while Rome burns.

If you think groups like this have a possibly unreasonable problem
with e-postage talk to computer/network trade magazine people. They're
making big bucks off all this free e-mail sending out alerts and ads
and newsletters (all with paid content) to their subscriber base (which
may include tens if not hundreds of thousands of former subscribers.)

Just wait until some of these proposals try to see the light of day in
a press gluttonizing on the status quo...

I've personally had trade mag editors call me for advice about what to
do about upwards of 25-35%, and rising, of their e-mailings being
blocked by ISPs et al.

I said, howsabout paying someone who has to carry your traffic to
which they snort, mutter how it's all opt-in (the words "opt-in" now
mean "you get whatever you want for free") and abruptly end the call.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*