Re: [Asrg] Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP?

2004-04-15 08:33:23
On Apr 13, 2004, at 00:45, Chris Lewis wrote:
It's already implemented in a very large scale. .scr, .pif, etc. Many of those have no business in email anyway.

Indeed. As someone who has no Windows systems at all, at home or at work, I automatically bounce anything from the Internet that has any kind of Windows or Microsoft file attachment--including .exe, .pif, .scr, .doc, .xls, and anything that has a character set of "WINDOWS-1252". I also bounce anything claiming to be from MSDN, Microsoft or MSN, because nobody I know uses addresses there.

I think ultimately Microsoft's failure to deal with their systems' insecurity might start having a negative effect on their business as Windows systems are locked out of more and more areas of the net.

I'm quite prepared to bounce .zip files too, though at the moment my mail host's virus checker is successfully stripping all those.

Nevertheless, bounces caused by Windows viruses are the #1 problem in my inbox now. The commercial spam thing is largely under control; it's the millions of bounces from viruses joe-jobbing me that are hard to deal with.

Is there an active proposal to require that bounce messages include a standard header with the message-ID of the message being bounced?

mathew