Re: [Asrg] Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP?

2004-04-12 22:57:17
Jim Witte wrote:

I would argue that if one wants to block EXE files - fine - but block them by looking for the base-64 encoded 'TVq' signature of EXE files (the 'MZ' signature when encoded). The current policy of blocking a great many different attachments, not only makes it more difficult for people who do want to send legitimate attachments (but not too much - I just remove the extension), if adopted on a large-scale (which I doubt it will be),

It's already implemented in a very large scale. .scr, .pif, etc. Many of those have no business in email anyway.

Note also that while the TVq et.al. signatures are _very_ useful, they don't do the whole job. Ie: zip'd .exe. TVq (and the two other rotations of Base64'd "MZ") helps, but (a) you have to make the signature a lot longer than "TVq", and (b) zip file name lengths can push the (longer) signature over a Base64 line boundary, and filtering abruptly becomes a lot harder.

Once you've decided to nuke .exes in all forms, about the only problematic attachment type that most people would be blocking would be wav files (because of Klez). It's the only attachment type we get FPs on. I should research whether the magic string check is sufficient.

such a "draconian" policy will push mal-ware-writers to move to other ways of sending their worms - Word macro viruses, Excel macro viruses, HTML with mal-ware JS and Java code, or whatever (there's almost always another hole to exploit).

That's a little like telling everyone to take off their bullet-proof vests because it'll just encourage poison gas.