RE: [Asrg] Re: Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP?

2004-04-13 17:30:16
Sorry I should have been more specific

I have often wondered how hard it would be to make a sandbox.

does anyone know of any open source sandboxes?

User Mode Linux is about as strong as you'll get. The BSD's jail
system, a
more advanced chroot, is also very good.

I should have said... does anyone know of any open source sandboxes for
windows?

Windows being the major source of infections cause by a total lack of
"useable" security.

What security there is available being in effect rendered useless by its
difficulty to implement. thus putting itself far beyond the average user.

a good program that leads a user through the steps required might be
helpful. but windows 98 etc are without any form of security and a sandbox
is the better choice.

The ones you mentioned above are probably good case studies to see what is
needed in such a system.

Regards
Chris