Re: [Asrg] Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP?

2004-04-20 15:59:36
 I will admit I have little idea how DCC works.

The idea is that _every_ message gets submitted (once).  DCC reports
the number of copies it has received.  For a message sent a single
time, this doesn't matter at all; nobody ever checks it again.  For a
message with a few recipients, it might be found, but only a few
copies, so it doesn't matter.  For spam, there will be a lot of copies
seen, so it gets rejected.  (This latter is also why legitimate
subscribed-to mailinglists must be whitelisted, since DCC only knows
about volume.)

One-to-one email isn't going to trip DCC, and unlikely to trip Bayes.

 Maybe it won't trip DCC, but individuals appear to be free to submit
non-spam messages they dislike to DCC.

_All_ messages received are supposed to be submitted.  (If you wait
until a person sees the message, a lot of spam will be accepted in the
meantime.)

Besides, suppose I submitted a non-spam message that I didn't like;
what effect would it have?

Seth