RE: [Asrg] (no subject)

2004-04-27 20:21:30

5 billion transactions per day doesn't impress me as proof positive
of anything, particularly world-wide.

Obviously if we can deliver that many emails per day THEN WE CLEARLY
CAN HANDLE THAT MANY TRANSACTIONS PER DAY! Nicht wahr?

The fact we perform 5 billion transactions with no charge mechanism in an
entirely decentralized fashion does not provide an existence proof for
being able to resolve 5 billion charge transactions.

VeriSign handles 5 billion transactions a day and many milions of payment
transactions, they even flow through some of the same systems. But they
are not directly equivalent. A single payment transaction costs several
hundred times more to support than a single DNS transaction.

Funny thing is that the minute I suggest accreditation, which would
involve each mail server requiring an SSL cert equivalent we have people
railing against 'the VeriSign tax'. Then folk go and suggest a payment
system which will inevitably require micropayments. Go work out where
the cybercash IP is owned.

I don't see the market opportunity here. Setting up a system that could
handle the demands is certainly possible, it is already in place for the
telephone. But the telephone markets are trending towards flat fee
charging.

                Phill