Re: [Asrg] 3. Proof-of-work analysis

2004-05-17 18:54:15

I'm just idly curious (like you I have zero confidence in
proof-of-work schemes) but why wouldn't they all be equivalent to
"don't send me your next command for (at least) N seconds or I'll drop
the connection"? That'd be independent of CPU speed wouldn't it!

Or for that matter just don't respond with a 250 to their HELO for N
seconds and if they continue talking anyhow drop the connection
(something like this is in the current beta sendmail, 8.13.0beta.)

That's fairly easy to implement and how can a conformant MTA
distinguish a sneaky delay from a slow network? Most MTAs are
configured to wait a minute or two for the initial HELO anyhow.

Unless someone has a good answer this is why I've always thought these
proof-of-work/hashcash schemes were the product of dopes.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*