Re: [Asrg] 3. Proof-of-work analysis

2004-05-17 19:10:19
Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm just idly curious (like you I have zero confidence in
proof-of-work schemes) but why wouldn't they all be equivalent to
"don't send me your next command for (at least) N seconds or I'll
drop the connection"? That'd be independent of CPU speed wouldn't
it!

Spamware could parallel connections to umpteen million recipients and
send at full speed if all it had to do was wait.

Or for that matter just don't respond with a 250 to their HELO for N
seconds and if they continue talking anyhow drop the connection
(something like this is in the current beta sendmail, 8.13.0beta.)

That works currently against spamware that pipelines illegally.  If it
becomes more common, that spamware will become less common.

Seth