Re: [Asrg] 3. Proof-of-work analysis

2004-05-19 13:01:48
Richard Clayton <richard(_at_)highwayman(_dot_)com> wrote:

60 seconds implies that you limit people to 1440 emails per day. If
you look again at the paper you will see that at this level the
spammers who use zombies would be restricted to only about 5% of
current activity (ie the solution would perceptually be no better
than filtering)

But it would be independent of filtering, so together they'd eliminate
99.75% of spam (assuming your statement of 95% effectiveness each).

or alternatively (if you think spammers will purchase kit to do the
proof- of-work sums "legitimately") you are forcing the price of
spam up to around 0.1 cents/email -- which is not sufficient to
remove a lot of topics from our mailboxes.

That's a several order of magnitude increase in the price of spam so
yes, I do think it would remove a lot of spam from my mailbox.

Seth