Re: [ASRG] 0 - General, Reliability of Transport

2004-05-23 05:11:29

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Chris wrote:

Is there a mention in our Charter about the *reliability of transport*?

From what I have seen over the months there is two camps within this group

1/ Those that believe Spam should be stopped at any cost
2/ Those that believe Spam should be countered but not at the expense of
losing possibly important messages

I am quite solidly in the second group (am I alone).

A third group includes:

3/ Those who believe that mail should be delivered or rejected at the SMTP
stage, but not discarded or returned to the envelope from.

A demand that spam detection never make a type II error is hardly
different from a demand that spam be tolerated. The 3rd group ensures that
mail will not be lost, even if some is not delivered. It does rule out (1)
spam detection at the MUA level, (2) spam detection as a low priority
background process on the MTA and (3) the sending of discard notices to
forged envelope from addresses.