Re: [Asrg] SPF is only useful to dupe the ignorant...

2004-09-10 18:49:19
At 7:43 PM -0400 9/10/04, Barry Shein imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
On September 10, 2004 at 17:21 esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com (Eric S. Raymond)
wrote:
 > Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com>:
 > > Spammers no longer use static domains, and they haven't for years.
 >
 > That's right.  They joe-job my domain instead, and I get over a
 > thousand bogus bounces a day.  If SPF deployment does nothing but stop
 > that (which it can), it's a win.  Meng has picked this piece of the
 > problem and is addressing it effectively.

So now SPF is mostly useful for people with vanity domains who run
SMTP for those vanity domains?

Which is getting down to a pretty microscopic portion of the
community.

It's also quite useful for owners of the more commonly forged domains such as AOL, Microsoft, Earthlink, and non-ISP companies whose brand recognition makes them common targets.

Not such a microscopic portion. Frankly I find the last one most useful because I work in that realm and frankly could not care less about the ongoing viability of cheap mass-market consumer ISP's. I do care about the daily myriads of bogus bounces hitting systems I have to keep running and what they imply about how widely garbage mail is claiming to be from my employer.

--
Bill Cole
bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com