Re: [Asrg] Re: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-13 09:03:42
On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 11:56:21AM +0200, Matthias Leisi wrote:
$DIALUP_ISP that adds it's whole dialup-range as "legitimate
mailservers" for $DIALUP_DOMAIN is of course free to do so, but that
would be less-than-intelligent.

This is why SPF is totally useless for anti spam.
Adding SPF in some cases has nothing to do with intelligence but with
contracts and if AOL puts records in DNS that don't allow someone to mail
from a vaild AOL access (DSL, Dialin) with his valid AOL email address any
longer he'll probably sue them for breaking contract. At least in
Germany they see "Internet access" and I don't see anything in the
contract that forces me to use their MTAs.

Sometimes I have the impression people talking about all those methods
don't have many - if at all - experience in running Internet for comercial
customers.
For my very private domain I can reject eMails as I want, I can add SPF
records ... it's all mine.
Running Internet services (e.g. mailservers) for (business) customers
is something completely different.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299