Re: [Asrg] Re: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-13 09:38:18
Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-spam-ietf-asrg(_at_)Space(_dot_)Net> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 11:56:21AM +0200, Matthias Leisi wrote:
$DIALUP_ISP that adds it's whole dialup-range as "legitimate
mailservers" for $DIALUP_DOMAIN is of course free to do so, but that
would be less-than-intelligent.

This is why SPF is totally useless for anti spam.

That stupid people will get it wrong?

Adding SPF in some cases has nothing to do with intelligence but
with contracts

Do you have a contract about provision of SPF?  With whom?  What does
it say?

and if AOL puts records in DNS that don't allow someone to mail from
a vaild AOL access (DSL, Dialin) with his valid AOL email address
any longer

1. SPF records don't prevent anyone from mailing; they merely provide
   the recipient more information about how to handle that mailing.

2. AOL _never_ intentionally allowed people to mail directly from
   their connections without going through AOL's mailservers.

he'll probably sue them for breaking contract.

And lose.  Have you read the contract?

At least in Germany they see "Internet access" and I don't see
anything in the contract that forces me to use their MTAs.

Do you see anything in the contract that requires them to validate
email sent not through their MTAs?

Sometimes I have the impression people talking about all those
methods don't have many - if at all - experience in running Internet
for comercial customers.

You mean like postmaster(_at_)mail(_dot_)com?

Seth