Re: [Asrg] Re: Disaster looming: SPF

2004-12-07 15:33:11

Ah, now I remember why I stay here, for the clever repartee'!

At any rate, perhaps my comment was a teensy-weensy-bit out of line in
its choice of words, but I'll stand by the sentiment.

The point being that SPF seems:

a) Mostly harmless if for no other reason than it'll never amount to
much. But I certainly don't think it's evil or anything horrible like
that, just very weak.

b) Does contain a trade-off of privacy vs security which doesn't seem
justified.

c) Similar for effort of deployment.

d) Seems to have less and less to do with spam, per se, whenever it's
explored in some detail, except inasmuch as one can broaden their
definition of spam to "any email I don't want" (e.g., viruses, joe
jobs, etc.) on the spot.

e) As such, seems to get much more attention on this list than it
deserves (my comments were tossed into the middle of another longish
thread on SPF), not that that's anything I'd particularly do anything
about EXCEPT PERHAPS COMMENT ON, which comments seems to bug the hell
out of some disproportionate to their importance, IMHO.

It was more of a "this is getting really, really boring and going
around in circles perhaps for a reason" snipe.

However, if I offended anyone or hurt any feelings who gives a shit.