[Asrg] Re: Disaster looming: SPF

2004-12-07 01:39:40
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 06:57:10PM -0500,
 Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 23 lines which said:

"if it's so great why do we only hear about it in these tiresome
take-on-all-comers arguments but never seem to see it achieve any
progress per se?"

What sort of progress do you want?

Active mailing lists? We have, they are even too active sometimes :-)

Working implementations. There are at least three (counting only free
software). http://spf.pobox.com/downloads.html

Domains publishing SPF: this is something that is in the hands of the
domain holders, of course. But when aol.com, hotmail.com, gnu.org,
pobox.com, amazon.com and freebsd.org use something, you can safely
say it has significant deployment.

Domains checking SPF: this is something that is in the hands of the
mail servers managers. Trackers
(http://spf.idimo.com/how_to-s/how_to_track.html) seem to indicate
that many sites already do it.

A RFC: well, this one is on the TODO list...