RE: [Asrg] Re: Disaster looming: SPF

2004-12-07 15:56:40

On December 7, 2004 at 10:39 pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com (Hallam-Baker,
Phillip) wrote:
The point about authentication is not that it will stop spam but that
providing an authentication mechanism is a pre-condition for deployment of
any scheme that moves beyond content filtering and blacklists.

My point is that I think there needs to be a lot of flesh put on that
bone, otherwise it's like a salesman's pitch, ``it'll do all these
great things for you -- you're not against great things are you???''
(generic 'you').

I'd agree that it would be good to move beyond content filtering and
blacklists, I'm just not convinced that SPF is that.

Again, good goal, questionable means, don't ask me (again, not you
especially) to sign off on the goal and ignore the means.

I guess what I'm saying is that if there's some grand vision of an
authenticated e-mail future maybe we should lay that out rather than
throwing another half-baked idea on the fire (to mix metaphors!) with
the defense "well, it's better than nothing!"

Which isn't obvious to me.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*