RE: [Asrg] Re: Disaster looming: SPF

2004-12-07 11:57:11
My concern about SPF is that it is now a legacy system and that people need
to understand that they cannot play with it as much as they would like. SPF
has seen extensive deployment and despite the issues that broke up MARID is
still backed by all the major ISPs and every major industry thought leader -
here including OSS as industry.

The only place SPF and Sender-ID are still disputed is in the academy.
Frankly my opinion on that quarter is the same as that of Dentrassi cooks on
subjects other than cuisine and mixing drinks.

The point about authentication is not that it will stop spam but that
providing an authentication mechanism is a pre-condition for deployment of
any scheme that moves beyond content filtering and blacklists.

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Stephane Bortzmeyer
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 3:35 AM
To: Barry Shein
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [Asrg] Re: Disaster looming: SPF

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 06:57:10PM -0500,
 Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 23 lines which said:

"if it's so great why do we only hear about it in these tiresome
take-on-all-comers arguments but never seem to see it achieve any
progress per se?"

What sort of progress do you want?

Active mailing lists? We have, they are even too active sometimes :-)

Working implementations. There are at least three (counting
only free software). http://spf.pobox.com/downloads.html

Domains publishing SPF: this is something that is in the
hands of the domain holders, of course. But when aol.com,
hotmail.com, gnu.org, pobox.com, amazon.com and freebsd.org
use something, you can safely say it has significant deployment.

Domains checking SPF: this is something that is in the hands
of the mail servers managers. Trackers
(http://spf.idimo.com/how_to-s/how_to_track.html) seem to
indicate that many sites already do it.

A RFC: well, this one is on the TODO list...