Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-31 19:56:34
On Dec 31 2004, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

I understand that. There are far more "compromised" and operating
zombies, but the average "operating size" appears to be around 100K.

You don't need anymore than that to accomplish a DDOS or a massive
spam. The miscreants are in this for money.

The black hats who build and maintain the zombie networks are probably
not the spammers themselves. I'd be curious to learn what the pricing
schedule for renting a zombie army is. There's probably an entry level
price for 100K zombies per day, 500K per day, 1 million per day.

Also, I expect there's some inbuilt redundancy, the black hats want
lots of inactive zombies which remain undetected but can be activated
when needed.

--
Laird Breyer.