RE: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-28 11:32:49

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Devdas Bhagat
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 11:44 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

On 28/12/04 10:40 -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
<snip>

On 28/12/04 09:46 -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
<snip>
And exactly how does the telco propose to enforce my
usage of their
server? Post 25 blocks? I just use another port, or I VPN.

We could play this circle game all day. At some point you're
going port 25. If you VPN to someone elses system,
fine, but they
end up paying for your traffic if you break their cap.

My point is that I control both ends of the VPN, and I
have no caps at
either end.

So what?

We can play this game all day. Try to
understand where I am coming from before you decide to continue
to play this losing game and waste both of our efforts:

1. The rest of the world is the target, the 99.99999% of
   people who simply use Windows and browsers for most of
   what they need. Not the .00000001% who are unix genii,
   illuminati, or other highly sophisticated users of the network.
   They have their place, but it's not dictating the market.

Let me put it this way:
What I can do, a spammer can. Given that a zombied box is under the
total control of the spammer, this is a reasonable assumption.

Yes, but under the scenario the users are responsible for their
machines like anyone else. We are not talking about total global
annihilation of spam. This is not possible. We are talking about
significant reduction and refocusing of effort so that spam is
a 3 to 8% portion of global email vs. 75% or more. I would be
satisfied if such a system cut spam by 60% or more, and so many
others.

SPAM gets reclassified as fraud if it's circumventing a billing
system.

I don't know how to make it _any_ clearer.