Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-28 21:17:36
On Dec 28 2004, Barry Shein wrote:

On December 28, 2004 at 20:35 devdas(_at_)dvb(_dot_)homelinux(_dot_)org
(Devdas Bhagat) wrote:

 > But on the Internet, any host with a routed IP address is your peer.
 > This includes the end users device(s), and not only those of the NSP.
 > Your whole plan has a fatal flaw in this point (by design of the IP
 > network).

Again the "I can think of a 1% example which slips through the model
so therefore invoke the ``it's not 100% perfect so it's completely
unworkable'' rule and thereby unilaterally declare victory.

You can arrange with some peer to use some stealthy email method to
avoid billing.

How about a program you can install (distribution channels
modeled on spyware) on your PC which creates a new, free Outlook mail
account. The account talks with a local SMTP/POP3 server.
SMTP submissions are converted by the local server to whatever protocol
bypasses the ISP toll booth. Maybe it prenegotiates a random port for
normal SMTP with participating SMTP servers, or it converts the SMTP
submission into a P2P like store and forward system. The local POP3
server can query the P2P network for new mail and download it if possible.

The point is that a local SMTP server can convert a standard mail
submission into any format or transport we imagine, so allows
experimentation. These transports might be developed as plugins over
time. The local POP3 server can retrieve mail if and when it's available. To
the user, the system is indistinguishable from an AOL account or
whatever.

Of course, compared to the existing SMTP network, these methods would
probably increase the load on the internet, be less reliable, use
up space on people's hard disks, increase the risk of mail snooping etc.

But you could use them with your existing MUA for "free", ie unmetered,
as a second class mail system compared with standard metered SMTP.
Mailing lists could "publish" on this alternative network, people would
start getting spam...

--
Laird Breyer.