Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-28 08:22:09
On 28/12/04 09:46 -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
<snip>
And exactly how does the telco propose to enforce my usage of their
server? Post 25 blocks? I just use another port, or I VPN.

We could play this circle game all day. At some point you're
going port 25. If you VPN to someone elses system, fine, but they
end up paying for your traffic if you break their cap.

My point is that I control both ends of the VPN, and I have no caps at
either end.

Why are you asking me these questions that you know the answers to
already?

Viruses and significant volumes of spam go direct to MX,
so you do not
have the luxury of forcing them through ISP controlled
servers either.

Sure I do. This is not some new technology we're discussing. Is it?

How do you propose to do that? Port 25 blocks?

So long as you do not have centrally controlled servers
for email, any
feasibility of billing for email is negligible.

I don't know a tier1 that doesn't have centrally controller servers,
or any ISP for that matter. If they don't offer email services, then
 I guess they don't block port 25.

ISPs control their servers. They do not control the servers that their
users can use.

They control the paths that they take.

ISPs control layer 3 paths. ISPs do not control layer 7. Trying to
control layer 7 will merely result in SSL certificates or the like being
required, and with self signed certs, the whole ISP interception fails.

[ SNIP ]

With few entities involved, billing is relatively simple.
Also, all the
billing is done at the exchange, not on the phone and the phone CANNOT
bypass the exchange.

The billing isn't done at the exchange. It's done via the SS7 network.
The only relevance is the calling station.

[ snip ]

Have you read the RFC for SIP?

Let's use Vonage for an example. There's a call setup and teardown
via a centralized server because their plans are flat rate
to a measurement
of minutes.

However, if I want to talk to my friends in the US, I can setup a VoIP
network for them, or they can all install Asterix or another piece of
software and then talk directly. Direct end to end connectivity,
competely bypassing any provider.

Known ports and protocols. You could do this, but at some point you're
going to want to talk to others. Someone is going to pay.

Sure. Anyone that I want to talk to will have their own VoIP service, or
they will hook into mine. I can become my own provider for various
services.
(This is the same reason why NAT is evil).

You need Vonage to be able to talk to the PSTN. If you set a reverse
constraint that you will only talk to IP phones, that
communication can
go direct to the other end without having to go via the providers
exchange.

You're describing a crippled system.

I am just limiting it to an IP only scenario, and removing the telco
from the picture.

To prevent such things from happening, you would either have
to control the
user end device, or use proxies which would prevent such
communication.

I don't know why you don't think nsp's have complete control
over their networks. There are ways to bypass things, but you
just end up on someone elses network. 1 to 1 isn't very useful
unless you're only going to talk to that one end user for the
rest of your life.

Everyone I need to talk to currently is just using their ISP for L3
connectivity. Nothing more.

drives entities to act by either a.de-zombify or b. not sending
junk mail - because it's not cost effective ie. comcast
charges a commercial
rate for the line, a fee over the cap, a higher cost plan, etc.

It would be easier to just charge users by the byte.

No it wouldn't. You'd have to measure every email instead of a start
and stop record like RADIUS AAA.

I wasn't restricting myself to email. All your network
traffic would be
charged by the byte, regardless of content.

Which is part of the problem. If it were broken out by protocol and
had true costs reflected, realistic maximums could be established.
Even breakout by primary protocols i.e. udp, tcp, smtp, rtp, etc.
would be useful for product design. Not for end user billing. But
the product pricing is most important anyhow.

[ snip ]

Ok, flat rate. But that's what I'm talking about. A flat rate
network that charges upon violation of the SLA you pay for i.e.
you pay 9.99 for 100 bi-directional emails a month, and it goes
up from there.

But if I use their network only for layer 3 connectivity and not layer
7, how do you propose that such a charge be enforced?

You're missing the point. I don't need by user granularity. I need
a inter-carrier billing system (here today) that reflects the actual
usage by my peer. The end user is their carriers responsibility. The
vonage 500 minute plan remains my example.

But on the Internet, any host with a routed IP address is your peer.
This includes the end users device(s), and not only those of the NSP.
Your whole plan has a fatal flaw in this point (by design of the IP
network).

Devdas Bhagat