Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-28 08:06:08

Another fallacy of the disk is cheap argument is:

Around, I dunno, 30% of the US (I think closer to 50% in Europe, and
much less elsewhere) has broadband (DSL or cable.) Let's stick to the
US for the sake of discussion.

er, OK, not sure how that helps the discussion ...

So, around 70% doesn't, and presumably mostly live with 56k modem
service.

Typical good throughput on a 56k modem is around 4KB/sec which
translates to a MB every 250 seconds or around 13MB/hour.

So, a 250MB mailbox @ 56kb takes around TWENTY HOURS to transfer.

Even at some typical DSL speed of 1Mbit/s down that's around 1MByte/10
seconds or 250MB in 2500 seconds, or ~40 minutes but I'd be shocked if
that means much less than an hour in practice.

Who wants to wait an hour to download their mailbox? How about twenty
hours?

John McCarthy used to (maybe still) have a .sig which said "Those who
will not do arithmetic are doomed to speak nonsense". Indeed.

Sorry, why would I want to "download my mailbox"? Is this an argument for
or against pushing *all* mail to the end-user?