RE: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-27 21:46:51

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Barry Shein
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 10:46 PM
To: laird(_at_)lbreyer(_dot_)com
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

On December 28, 2004 at 12:23 laird(_at_)lbreyer(_dot_)com (Laird Breyer)
wrote:
 > On Dec 27 2004, Barry Shein wrote:
 > >
 > > Well, if one wants to resist the idea one merely builds
scenarios out
 > > anything left unsaid which lead to the conclusion that
the idea is
 > > untenable.
 >
 > Generally IMHO, if what is unsaid is large enough to drive a truck
 > through it's worth narrowing down the unsaid parts.

[ SNIP ]

We're talking about near and likely futures.

It doesn't seem helpful to drag out projections based on the behavior
of owners of 486/50's running Windows 3.1.

For the most part, we're talking about:

http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-may04.html

I'm talking more about people in some near future, you know, when all
this charging is deployed, who continue to resist upgrading their
computers etc. because they're too cheap or whatever reason. Ok,
they'll get infected, they'll incur nag charges, their choice.

Some people are dumb and will incur the charges. Fine. After so many
occurances, they get dumped.

 > 2) A new computer costs a typical user now on the order of
$1000, an
 > ISP charges on the order of $20 per month. Clearly, the computer is
 > much more valuable than the ISP service.
 >
 > 3) Fixing a computer by either buying a new one, hiring somebody or
 > getting one of those magical system cleaning programs costs on the
 > order of $50 minimum, and is a hassle.
 >
 > 4) The ISP charges $3 as a penalty, per month?

Whatever, the charges for e-mail start kicking in.

The charges for an overage of the flat-rate limits on in/out emails
kick in.

[ snip ]

-M<