RE: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-27 09:14:39

I don't want them to buy my service. I want them to buy
an ISPs service and when that ISP sees that a real cost
has been applied to SMTP traffic, they'll act to protect
their own financial interest and it'll have nothing to do
with anyone else.

To me, it seems like the perfect pyramid collapse.

--
Martin Hannigan                         (c) 617-388-2663
VeriSign, Inc.                          (w) 703-948-7018
Network Engineer IV                       Operations & Infrastructure
hannigan(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Seth Breidbart
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 2:59 PM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

"Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> top-posted:

Why does everyone want to over complicate the problem?

First 100 emails out or in are free, beyond that, there's a fee.

So you're going to charge me more for _receiving_ spam?  I don't think
your ISP is going to succeed in the marketplace.

If its too expensive to spam, they'll stop. This, IMHO, is the only
way to stop them.  Follow a telco billing model and "exchange" mail
minutes.

The spammers won't buy your measured service, either.

Seth