Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-27 16:37:03

It's interesting, I was just reading an article in Variety about how
the DGA (Director's Guild of America), WGA (Writer's...), and SAG
(Screen Actor's Guild) are wrangling with networks etc over those
little snips used in those million and one "I love the 80's" or "Great
Film Moments in 2004" type shows which have been proliferating lately.

Take a theme, patch together a bunch of clips from films, docu, news,
etc, overlay some narration, and voila', low-cost content.

That is, so long as the producers of those shows could hide behind
fair use or at least no one bugging them to pay for the clips.

But that's changed and the Variety article had, I think it was DGA's,
new price schedules, $250 for < 30 seconds and so on, multiplied by
how many years you want to be able to rerun the thing, etc.

And of course the producers are screaming bloody murder because it'll
add $15K-$20K to a 30 minute show which breaks their economics pitch
of it being very cheap (so long as they don't have to pay people for
their work.)

etc etc etc etc etc

But what you don't see in those discussions are people trying to argue
that it's just IMPOSSIBLE because it'll be TOO MUCH TROUBLE to bend
over and pick up the money which'll give us all BAD BACKS and the
MEDICAL COSTS for BACK THERAPY will FAR OUTWEIGH any REVENUES so it
CAN'T BE DONE! etc.

Oh I'm sure it's tried, but it's not often taken very seriously.

Mostly because the obvious answer is: Ok, if it's too expensive (&c)
to get the money, then we won't! NEXT QUESTION?!

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*