Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-25 23:08:27
On 25/12/04 20:11 -0500, der Mouse wrote:
2)  billing infected users for the spam their zombie-ized machine
    sends will drive users off the Net (which ultimately helps
    nobody).

I'm not convinced - that it would help nobody, that is.

It's reached the point where I would consider disconnecting everyone
with a zombied machine an acceptable price; I believe every such person

I would agree with this. However, for most ISPs in the US, the cost of
dealing with support calls is likely to be higher than the savings from
the subscriber. Far cheaper is blocking port 25 wholesale across
non business customer connections, which does result in tanglible
benefits to the Internet.

Maybe such support calls need to be billed as an extra expense to the
subscriber for things to work out.

Devdas Bhagat