Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-24 19:43:58
gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

Email should be changed so that the contents of a email lives on the
sender's server until it is retrieved by the recipient.

That was suggested a long time ago.  It works OK for lots of
situations, but not so well for legitimate senders without full-time
servers.

Hmmm... that last phrase ALMOST sounds like an oxymoron...!  Care to
explain?

How does my mother, on a PC that's usually turned off, send email to
my brother, without arranging in advance at what time she'll send it?

The whole point of the change would be to FORCE senders to cover
more of the costs of (and responsibility for) what they send, and
that might in fact INCLUDE the need to provide (or pay an ISP to
provide) precisely such 24/7 E-mail message storage, until the
messages were picked up by the recipient.  Shifting those costs back
to the sender is NOT entirely unreasonable, in principle.

Letting her ISP handle it makes sense.

The earlier comment about how the recipient would identify themself
to the sender-end message storage server is a more interesting one,
although it strikes me that they could be given a stub kind of
E-mail ("there is an e-mail message waiting for you, here's the IP
address you need to contact, and the cookie you need to provide to
retrieve it").

I thought I already suggested that (in different language).

The key downside that I see is more from the standpoint of
privacy/security, where the recipient may not relish the idea of
revealing to the sender EXACTLY when they retrieved and read the
message, or from where.

Then someone (trusted) will provide anonymity by putting a server in
between them.

Seth