Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-28 22:10:33

On December 29, 2004 at 11:35 laird(_at_)lbreyer(_dot_)com (Laird Breyer) wrote:
On Dec 28 2004, Barry Shein wrote:

haven't paid your bill or whatever. Ask any corporate lawyer which
s/he'd prefer, shutoffs for content or volume or complaint policies,
or for non-payment (or you can guess.)

Interesting. How would this work on a planetary scale?

Ok, I'll respond in kind...WHICH PLANET? You planetist!

Anyhow, this is easy, there are int'l long distance telephone systems,
postal delivery, package delivery, etc etc so saying it's all
impossible is kinda strange.

Different
countries, different law systems. IANAL, but maybe someone on this
list can chime in: are international agreements likely to be strong
enough to make this work, or do we need some WIPO/GATT conference(s) to get
everyone to sign up? Normally, if someone from e.g. India steals your
resources in the US via the internet, I believe you're SOL.

I agree that if you restrict yourself to spam within the US say, then
converting the problem into theft of resources would make the law more
effective within the US.

 > I'd like to speculate that in yet another future, ISPs will be faced
 > with new mail transports which bypass metered SMTP. In such a future,
 > mail is indistinguishable from binary data, and charged as part of the
 > flat monthly fee.

Yeah well any anti-spam proposal which springs from the assumption
that the entire e-mail infrastructure will be rebuilt from scratch
tends to be shunned. Not sure why the same wouldn't apply to your
comment.

For the same reason that it doesn't apply to your speculation on a
solid world wide billing system per email. It's big picture
speculation about a possible near future.

--
Laird Breyer.