Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-26 13:22:07

I suspect the solution, one way or another, to spam will be
per-message charging (with various schemes like first 1000/month
included with monthly fee.)

At this point it will likely happen either:

a) As a syndicate of ISPs (with govts' blessing to forestall the
amateur anti-trust lawyers in the crowd) which would pressure other
ISPs who resist to install a charging system (e.g., they'll get
settlement bills and, eventually, shut-off notices.) In economics this
is called "pricing power".

b) Unfortunately, more likely is that much of what we see will
collapse in utility to the point that most end-user services will be
provided by RBOCs and PTTs, most everyone else having gone bankrupt or
fled from the email biz, and they'll just stick a $.15 or whatever per
msg fee (think: SMS) because there's money in charging for things and,
as organizations, they don't fret a lot about how happy people are
about that because they're monopolies! They're usually pretty good at
making competing leakage illegal by fiat, and considering that the
vast majority of the internet runs on their infrastructure they do
have their "in".

Of course, some success here could change that future (I feel like I'm
entering into the worst dialogue of "The Matrix" trilogy so I'll
stop.)

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*