Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-24 10:31:18

Gordon Peterson:
push the message storage to the user end (where it probably ought to
be)

Why is that?

1) Scaleability. There is far more aggregate processing power and
aggregate
disk space available within the user community to store messages than
within any
of the ISPs own data centers.

While this may be true, such an approach might *consume* more of these
resources (and bandwidth) than would rejection upstream. i.e. you'd have to
do a lot of figuring to convince me that n GB at end user is cheaper than m
GB further upstream, given that we know very little about the values of n,m
.

2) Cost. Both disk space and CPU cycles are probably cheaper at most
end-user
machines, too... most users probably have cheap(er) IDE disk drives, >

Well, yes, but this (and the bandwidth) becomes an extra cost of mail
service. Is this what end-users want? Would they pay (perhaps more) for
something else? Also, see the point about *consumption* above. It's all
very well hypothesising about costs, but some consideration of potential
benefits would go well here. Remember that the MTS is supposed to offer
service to a very wide range of end-user hardware (and pockets).

3) Responsibility.
Obviously attractive to an ISP in certain circumstances, but it's not just
the ISP view we're considering here.

4) Control.

Indeed, but this isn't an argument against user control being implemented
upstream.

It seems to me that your position amounts to saying that we (the community)
don't have a spam problem, end-users have a spam problem.
Is this right?