Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-26 13:05:14

On December 25, 2004 at 05:27 devdas(_at_)dvb(_dot_)homelinux(_dot_)org (Devdas
Bhagat) wrote:
On 24/12/04 18:39 -0500, Barry Shein wrote:

I suspect what you describe is the future of mailing lists. It answers
the problem of "if email delivery were charged for then what happens
to all those free mailing lists with large distributions?"

Well, easy, subscribing will mean just picking up the current
edition/messages just like one might pick up their personal mail with
pop or imap, if . Closed mailing lists of course could require
password protection, etc.

And hence we reinvent ... usenet.

Well, if I were designing such a system, NNTP/NNRP (the usenet reader
protocol) would certainly be something to consider, clearly it works
for usenet and has similarities to this problem.

I think usenet would have been a much more powerful influence (not
that it wasn't already) had the interfaces been merged with e-mail
interfaces.

That might be the main features distinguishing mailing lists and
usenet, really, tho putting it through a single source creates the
possibility of moderation and subscriber control which usenet's
flooding algorithms never really did (or at best very weakly via
flawed moderation and distribution control schemes.)

While we're on the subject, usenet does provide a sobering lesson. I
think if you asked people who accessed usenet daily, for a decade or
more, why the don't any long I think they'd usually say "the
spam/abuse just got overwhelming, and when others of clue and good
intention were driven away there was no point any longer."

Then again, it would seem to fulfull Yogi Berra's "nobody goes there
anymore, it's too crowded."

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*