Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-26 13:54:48

Well, if:

a) the incremental cost to the end-user due to being zombied were just
a few dollars (US example)

b) AND we could get to the point where we could say with certainty
that this wouldn't have happened had one been running more modern
software or even some easily installed free online package, so it's
clearly a cost transfer which shouldn't be rewarded.

Then I think the problem would tend to abate.

I don't have any data on how many email msgs any one zombie usually
turns out but my guess is that it's a tiny proportion of the problem
so the arithmetic might work, particularly coupled with some sort of
reliable early warning system from the ISP (WARNING: You usually send
33 msgs/month, yesterday your computer sent 1,243 which will cause you
$0.27 in excess mail charges, CHECK FOR VIRUSES: click here...)

I guess what I'm saying is that as easy as it is to cook up doomsday
scenarios to make it all seem unworkable it's also not too difficult
to model all this so it would just effectively nag people into
improving their behavior.

The real missing item is some definitive detection and cure, and of
course a lot of PR to convince people that if they see an extra $1.80
on their bill or got a warning etc they probably deserved it CHECK NOW
(visions of CNN etc doing spots on this etc.)

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*