Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-27 11:45:09

On Dec 27, 2004, at 9:40 AM, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

If you're talking about DISK space, then (again) I claim that the amount of disk space (at today's prices) is ridiculously cheap, not worth talking about in the
overall scheme of things.

A large mail system is very heavy on reads AND writes, so while disk space may be cheap, a system that supports actual use of that space is very expensive. The larger disks get, the harder and harder it gets to use all of the space on them. Very often you can't.

  (Even the FREE ISPs are giving from 250Mb, 500Mb, or
1Gb of disk space for E-mail messages... even with mirroring, that's no more than a dollar or so per user, which is NOT a significant percentage of the total
ISP operating costs.

The reason that these large quotas can be supported is not because of low storage costs, but because it's only a small subset of users that end up utilizing that kind of space. This trend will probably change over time as users become more savvy, but right now these power users are the minority. I am sure that anyone that offers this kind of space has done very careful study of disk usage patterns among their customer base. If all of their users suddenly decided to start using all of that space the result would likely be disastrous.

There is also the cost of maintenance for such a large disk farm, which requires skilled staff and good organization. Money saved on a cheap system comes back to haunt you when a single disk rebuild ends up taking most of a work day, extending the window where the dreaded double disk failure can occur. Not to mention the degraded performance that can be suffered with a rebuild on a busy system.

So, in the context of a mail system for sizable ISP, I would claim that storage is anything but cheap.

Peter