RE: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-27 08:50:02

The spam problem was non existent 10 years ago.

I am not proposing a charge for the average user. I'm saying
that a base service be included with the standard service and
some parameters be biult around that for "normal" usage. Above
and beyond, I'd advocate blocks. At a certain point, the blocks
simply turn into a "contact us at 1-800..." and it's discussed and
possibly paid in advance.

Call centers pay in advance. They are technically telco-spam.

I don't think my idea is unique, although it's more informed than
10 years ago. And it _could_ be refined to work - and possibly
sold to tier 1's. If tier1's did it, it would be a domino effect.

Vision:

End of month peering reconciliation breaks out peers by protocols
including SMTP and a higher or lower bit cost is applied based on
the agreements. This enables SP's to break out the actual cost of
SMTP bits and align it in their products and build more effect
service offerings knowing the true costs.

All this "spam costs X and Y" is largely unreliable because it's
all guesswork and doesn't look at the built in bits cost.

--
Martin Hannigan                         (c) 617-388-2663
VeriSign, Inc.                          (w) 703-948-7018